Most shoveling related hospitalizations, are caused by cardiac events. Why?
Because the cold causes arteries and blood vessels to narrow, which slows blood flow overall. That combines with the exertion of shoveling, can be a huge concern for elderly people.
Stop shoveling immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Squeezing chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Pain down the left arm or up into the shoulder
- Breaking out in a cold sweat.
- More subtle symptoms like jaw pain, nausea or vomiting
Many of our Silverkey clients reside in Pennsylvania, up and down the Pocono and Scranton area. To our families and friends we say- share these helpful tips with your loved ones-
Before going out to shovel:
- Warm up, stretch those muscles a bit
- Cover your mouth and nose
- Shovel in light loads and take breaks!
- Drink water to stay hydrated
And perhaps most important- Ask for help if needed!
This may be just the right time to call over that helpful neighbor, nephew, friend, or service.